Friday, May 20, 2011

Grungy Blocky Goodness--#7



This week over at Studio L3, Linda has set our mission to discover color-blocking, a la Tim Style, with a Ranger Video made during CHA. Now, while I have known about this technique, for some really stupid reason, I just never made the connection to do it with the applicator sponges and distress inks!!?? How easy, fun and quick is this!! Since my 7 Gypsies tray is starting to look a tad monochomastic, my goal this week was to add some color (even before I knew what we'd be doing.)



So, using Scattered Straw, Victorian Velvet, Milled Lavender and edging with Dusty Concord, I blocked in my background. I don't use the actual applicator...they don't stay stuck for long when you swap out, and I just would get too annoyed with 36 of those buggers lying around on my desk! I instead cut up the cut and dry foam as needed, in what ever size I feel like at the time. My fingers are quite capable of holding the foam smooth and steady in place of an applicator. I use one foam per color group, and right now they all fit in one of the little drawers in my desk caddy. I thought it looked quite fabulous!



So, then, my brain starts going with ideas to finish...and butterflies, (the die I said I'd stop using for a bit) came to mind. First I stamped a butterfly background in Dusty concord. I can not remember who made it, all my notes said is "envelope lady @ Springfield show". I probably should have used milled lavendar, as it became a tad dark. This made the paper choice for the butterfly tricky...finally chose a Bazzil light purple metallic. I wanted some gold, so ended up stippling some gold AI additive---thought the paper would behave more like glossy--ah well. threw in some tiny...really tiny...microscopic...black pearls for a bit of dimension.


Still wanting more gold, I used a Magenta border and corner stamp with gold EP, then stamped the saying (can't remember this either) on purple, and Ta dah! Not to bad, considering I wasn't sure I'd even get to play this week! The butterfly is raised up on thick tape, but this photo isn't showing that well. And as for the main mission--to add color to my tray...lets just say next week I'm aiming for hot pink, shocking orange or bright yellow! LOL!

So, now go over to see the fabulous work of Linda, her guest designers and the rest of the Grungy Monday gang! Check out Tim's video, then jump in..there is still time!

11 comments:

  1. Love your purple butterflies Kim! I really like those gold stickers! Awesome card and thanks for your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had a fight with my applicator too - and great that you dared to go for the colour!
    Thanks for sharing,
    Sarah at 46

    ReplyDelete
  3. these colors work so well with the butterfly theme! It will be a lovely addition to the tray.
    I ended up doing the same thing with my foam pieces - I cut them as needed and use to they're ragged, so none are uniform!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your colours, the butterfly is beautiful. Yvonne x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the touches of gold on the butterfly! Love that purple too! Nice job.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful creation! I love the colors and the gold -- very smart to add it in here and there -- Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh love this hun just adore butterflys and this is just lush hugs cheryl xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post, need to get some the cut and dry. Love the colors they look super fab. Nice details with the glod embosing. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful, love the purple and the butterflies.

    ReplyDelete
  10. lovin' the colour combo with the embossing added it finishes it off a treat

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is sooo pretty Kim, and with Butterflies you are sure to be a winner with me! I can never seem to get my pinks to show very well!

    To get around the problem of having the "little buggars" hanging around on my desk, I have attached a little velcro on the underside of my inks so I can just pop them back on when I want to swap the pad!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Your comments mean alot to me!