Friday, October 31, 2014

CC3C #14: Colored Crackle Pg. 53

Welcome to another installment of the Compendium of Curiosities Challenge, Vol. 3, hosted by Linda at Studio L3.  This is the Fourteenth challenge in where we work through the techniques of Tim Holtz from, you guessed it…his 3rd Volume of the Compendium of Curiosities!!  As in the past challenges, we can’t give details on the challenge, so don’t ask, but do go get your own copy of Tim’s fabulous book.  Also, TheFunky Junkie Boutique has offered an extremely generous $25 Gift Certificate for all the even numbered weeks! So grab a copy, and join in to play!!  All the deets are here, at Linda’s blog!

OK, onto the Technique: I had this little deer (dear little deer?)  sitting all alone on my desk, so decide to use her.  The deer on our hill are rather cinnamon colored; (the ones down the hill are all drab…) so I started with Rusted Hinge and went from there. (Looking at the photo, I see I smudged the Fired Brick stickles I put on her nose, while getting that wreath to stick)
                                           
The tag background is Distress Embossing Ink sponged through the Layering Stencil…then covered with clear Embossing Powder. I used Old Paper DI, but I'm thinking my ink applicator (Yes Hettie, you can laugh) may have had a bit of Shabby Shutter that I didn't scrub off) Oddly, it's exactly the color I was hoping for.  The “So You Think You  Can Prance” stamp is from Memory Box; I had to have it as one of my fav shows is “So You Think You Can Dance”  I haven’t found any of Tim’s new Pine Twine, but I have this odd, clunky type, so I wrapped that up with Linen Ribbon died with DI Festive Berries, and…how does everyone glue down their bristly pipe-cleaners/twine? I used Multi-Medium; but it was touch and go! I haven't decided yet how I'll use this tag, so I have left it un-embellished for now

The Colored Crackle, unlike the other Crackled techniques gives your projects such a nice “country”, peeling wood sort of look..if that makes sense.  So grab a copy and give it a try! Don’t forget to also visit the Curiosity Crew’s examples…there are some amazing pieces there this week!

Also, I noticed that my Worn Cover post didn't link last week, so if you are interested, you can read about it here..

Have a great week everyone.




5 comments:

  1. LOVE the background, and the crackled deer is great! Wonderful tag! Thanks so much for playing along with us on the Colored Crackle challenge at CC3Challenge!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous - love the reindeer especially - and as to your question, I like a super heavy gel medium for things that are tough to 'grab' like the pipecleaners. Thanks for joining us at CC3C!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my what a sweet tag. Your crackled reindeer is so cute. Thanks so much for sharing with us at CC3C!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice, tag, I love that deer die cut. You did a great job on your colored crackle technique and I really like the way you described it in your write up. Sorry last challenge didn't link!! That's too bad, love what you did there as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this tag Kim. I do love that stencil too. So much so I bought it!! Oops!
    Have you thought about glue gun for sticking the pesky stuff down? Or do you need adult supervision for that? Tee hee!
    Hugs
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Your comments mean alot to me!