Wednesday, March 2, 2011

WOYWW #91


Errgh! This is it....this is all I brought home from the brand new Hobby Lobby that opened in the area. I had heard a lot about this store from the All Things Tim Yahoo Group, and was oh-so excited. Plus they are literally 2 doors down from an AC Moore (ok, the most decrepid one you've ever seen, but still..) and across the street from a brand spanking new Michael's. So,they must be pretty confident in getting market share. But I have to say; I'm not so impressed. Granted they had only been open 1 week, and everything was 40% off for the opening...so things may have been emptied, but the stamping aisle was pretty skimpy. Only the original 12 colors of DI's, only 3 pads from the Adirondack Line; they have some clear sets of Tim's stamps, but they are mini-sized. I did pick up one for the eye and eye chart, but very disappointing! And then, what really got me!!!! Two of the girls where walking around, one orienting the other, and I overheard her say about the Adirondack Alcohol Ink sets..."and these are the refills for these [pointing to the Distress Inks] " AGGHHHH!!! I couldn't keep my mouth shut!! After setting them straight on all the different ink types, etc., they asked if I had met Tim...because they thought he lived here..in the Adirondack's, because of the Ranger color palette; Oh boy!


So, now I need some advise: Being pretty hot from inadequate sales help ( a BIG pet peeve of mine) (as if you couldn't tell by the rant!) I marched up to the manager and pretty much told him he needed to have an instructor if not for the public to help sell stamping supplies, at least to his staff to be knowledable about their departments. And that instructor should be me! He just blinked at me, then said to call him ina few weeks when they get settled. So, has anyone worked for a big box store as a demonstrator? Do you need to bring in you own supplies? Or can you expect them to open up enough supplies for say 8-10 students?? Things I need to know now that I've cooled down and can think a bit more rationally before I give them a call next week. I've taken many stamp classes over the years at stamp stores, where everything is supplied, pre-cut, etc., but that's their business; not so sure if it would be the same; besides...only 12 Distress colors??? I'd be bringing in half my room just for variety!! LOL! Wow...better go now...guess I haven't cooled down enough...so sorry about the ranting...fingers and heart got ahead of my brain...Have a good week everyone! Oh, head over to Julia's Stamping Ground to see some happy, creative spaces! LOL!

7 comments:

  1. Well I am glad you got that off your chest - you will feel lots better now! Enjoy your crafting.
    Don't forget to pop over to our shop and put your name down in the next gift draw.
    http://sisterscraftycreations.blogspot.com/
    Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness - I'm glad it's not just me that rushes in where angels fear to tread! Go girl!!! Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have zero expectations of anyone working at a big box craft store to know anything - not even where to find something in THEIR store. I often butt into conversations of other customers if I can give them reliable advice - that's what I would want someone to do if I needed help. Good luck on getting the gig as instructor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the peek and sharing. Have a great WOYWW.

    Hugs, Marjo #5

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry your shopping trip wasn't quite what you'd hoped, but i did have to giggle, still your rant may have got you a nice little job!
    Stay Inky
    Hugs Minxy #11

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your post- I hate it when stores don't employ staff who know anything about what they are selling-or even bother to train them!TFS Shaz #125

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah..I've done some stuff here in the UK. You use what they provide, but if you want it to go well, you collect it before hand and do the measuring and cutting etc. People won't pay for a class where half the time is spent 'learning' to cut up card stock. As for 12 colours etc...if that's what they sell, that's what you use..they will be paying you to demo/sell their stock, not send your class off to another store to buy other stock. It concentrates the mind, for sure...great good luck - be sure to ring him up, they need you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Your comments mean alot to me!